St. Patrick Church
The present church building on Bridge Avenue between Fulton Road and West 38th Street is the second church structure to serve our parish. The original church stood immediately behind, facing Whitman Avenue.
The building was designed in Gothic Revival style by Cleveland contractor and architect Alfred Green. The cornerstone was placed in 1871. Due to serious financial setbacks and the explosive growth of the parish, a half century passed before the church could be consecrated in 1931.
In the summer of 2020, the parish completed the first phase in a major window restoration project, with the reconstruction and reinstallation of three of the 1913 Franz Mayer stained glass windows on the west side of the nave, as well as one small window in the sacristy. Work was completed by the Whitney Stained Glass Studio of Cleveland.
In order to allow for social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic, the seating capacity of the main floor of the church, which is 676 at full occupancy, has been reduced to 73 pews which can seat a maximum of 243 people (far fewer when occupied by individuals and small households).
During this time, Mass attendees are asked to observe one-way travel through the building, entering via the west side entrance off the portico and leaving through the Bridge Avenue doors.
This historic structure is not air conditioned, and its kneelers are fixed in place, covering steam heat pipes.
The building contains one restroom, located in the southwest corner near the Bridge Avenue entrance.